A BRIEF HISTORY OF FALDINGWORTH AIRFIELD
Faldingworth opened on 27 July 1943, with 1667 Heavy Conversion Unit initially flying Lancasters and Halifaxes until moving to Sandtoft in February 1944. The station was also used by 1546 Beam Approach Training Flight with its Oxfords from May 1944 to January 1945, and C Flight of 166 Squadron at Kirmington formed there with Lancasters in October 1944.
300 Squadron arrived at Faldingworth from nearby Ingham on 1 st March 1944, and converted to Lancasters whilst continuing to operate its Wellingtons. The first operation by Lancasters was on 18/19 April 1944, with an attack on the railway junction at Rouen. From June to September 1944 a shortage of Polish aircrew led to B Flight being manned by British and Commonwealth crews from other Lincolnshire-based units.
The Squadron took part in all the major operations of Bomber Command, and Faldingworth formed part of 14 Base (Ludford Magna, Wickenby and Faldingworth) of 1 Group. On 29 January 1945 it was handed over to the Polish Air Force, becoming PAF Station Faldingworth. 300 Squadron's last operation was a Manna supplies drop to the Dutch people (Rotterdam) on 7th May 1945, and it also flew former P.O.W.s back to Britain in Operation exodus.
The Squadron was the first Polish Squadron to be formed in Britain, and the last recorded flying by aircraft of the Polish Air Force in Lincolnshire was carried out by 300 Squadron on 26 November 1946. In October 1946, 305 (Polish) Squadron arrived at Faldingworth, and following the decision to disband all Polish Air Force units serving in Britain was disbanded on 6 January 1947, with 300 Squadron being disbanded on 2 January 1947.
The station was subsequently used from the 1950s as a special stores (nuclear weapons) site which served the Vulcans at Scampton and Waddington, and then by Royal Ordnance (previously British MarCo). Most of the airfield is now back to agriculture.
There are now buried in the memorial on the Faldingworth old airfield, parts from 2 number 1667 H.C.U. Halifaxes and 11 number RAF 300 Polish squadron Lancasters that flew from Faldingworth for the last time
Visitors to the airfield memorial, please note: "Although the Memorial on the airfield is normally accessible during the day, access may be restricted for operational purposes. It is recommended that contact is made before travelling to Faldingworth. Please telephone 01673 885384"
If you wish to see more about the work of the memorial group and the airfield please visit http://sites.google.com/site/faldingworthmemorials/